Office Hours
Monday - Thursday 8am to 5pm
Contactless service in the vestibule
Call for information

Call 610-767-9297 |

Commercial Building Permits

PLEASE NOTE:  Permits can be submitted by email, mail, or in person at the municipal building. If you are submitting a permit application by email you will need to mail or drop off a check for the application fee. Please contact the permitting office with any questions by email at or by calling 610-767-9297 x1. 

The municipal office is OPEN Monday-Thursday 8 am to 5 pm and Fridays by appointment.

The Vestibule area is OPEN and there is a video intercom system for contactless service. You can get forms, speak with staff and drop off applications in the vestibule. If the service you need is not available in the vestibule, staff can remotely open the vestibule door to allow access.

Please call the township office BEFORE SCHEDULING OR BEGINNING WORK to verify if a permit is required. Most permits require detailed drawings of the property including all structures, driveway, septic, well with dimensions and distances clearly marked.  If you are unsure of what is needed for your permit please contact the Zoning Office or Lehigh Valley Inspection Service.

Applying For Commercial Permits under the Pa. Uniform Construction Code

Fees: Listed on the applications or attached fee schedules

Note: All applications, where required, must be signed by the record owner and contractor. PAGE 2 AND 7 (ADDENDUM) OF THE UCC PERMIT APPLICATION MUST BE SIGNED BY RECORD OWNER. All fees must be paid prior to any permits being issued. Download the Heidelberg Township UCC Application (PDF).

Plot Plan
Three (3) copies of a plot plan showing all existing or proposed improvements within the lot. Improvements include all structures, well location, septic tank, drain field or central sewer lines and driveway area. Exact dimensions and setbacks must be shown if improvements are proposed less than ten (10) feet from the required setbacks.

Construction Plans: Three (3) sets of construction plans.Plans must be “as built” indicating all the information of the Pa. UCC Code, including the square footage of the total floor area of the structure (living area, basement, finished attic, garages, decks and porches).

Commercial Structures: The floor area utilized by the public must be shown separately from the total square footage of the building area. The construction documents shall be prepared by a registered design professional and be signed and sealed; Three (3) sets of plans are required for Commercial Building.

Septic Permits
If an on lot septic system is required, the permit must be issued prior to or in conjunction with the building permit issuance. The septic permitting process is done by Chris Noll, the Township Sewage Enforcement Officer. His phone number is 610-865-4555.

Driveway Permits
Permits are required for all new, improvement of existing (including paving or re-paving), and change of use driveways. Please see the information provided with the driveway application. Download the Heidelberg Township Driveway Permit Application (PDF) here.
Note: If the driveway abuts a state road, you must apply for a permit at the local Penn DOT office. The township requires a copy of the state permit.

Electrical Permits: If electrical work will be done, an electrical permit is required. Submission of the electrical permit application is required prior to any electrical work being started. All fees must be paid prior to the electrical permit issuance.

Plumbing Permits: If plumbing fixtures will be installed, a plumbing permit is required. Submission of the plumbing application is required at the time of the building permit application submission. Plumbing fixtures must be identified on the construction plans. Any unit accepting waste water which is separately p-trapped and required to be located within two (2) feet of a vent, trapped separately, or is a mechanized device must be identified, as a plumbing fixture on the permit application. Prior to the building permit being issued, the plumber must sign the plumbing permit application. The plumbing permit fee must also be paid. Three sets of plumbing plans need to be submitted ~ labeling size of pipe, vents, DFU’s, etc.

~ A permit is NOT REQUIRED for the following commercial work:

Building Construction:

  • Fences that are not over 6 feet high.
  • Oil Derricks
  • Retaining walls not over 4 feet in height measured from the lowest level of grade to the top of the wall.
  • Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and ratio of height to width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Sidewalks not more than 30 inches above grade and that are not located over a basement or story below it and which are not part of an accessible route.
  •  Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finishing work.
  • Temporary motion picture, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Prefab swimming pools less than 24 inches deep do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes that do not include service stations.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and no not include additional support of group R-3 as applicable in the IRC and group WU occupancies.
  • Moveable cases, counters and partitions that are not over 5 feet 9 inches in height.
  • Window replacement without structural change.


Electrical Work:

  • Minor repair and maintenance work that includes that replace of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
  • Electrical equipment used for radio and TV transmissions. The provisions of the UCC apply to the equipment and wiring for power supply and the installation of towers and equipment.
  • The installation of a temporary system for the testing or servicing of electrical equipment or apparatus.


Gas Work:

  • A portable heating appliance.
  • Replacement of a minor part that does not alter approval or equipment or make the equipment unsafe.


Mechanical Work:

  • A portable heating appliance.
  • Portable ventilation equipment.
  • A portable cooling unit.
  • Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment governed under the UCC.
  • Replacement of any part that does not alter its approval or make it unsafe.
  • A portable evaporative cooler
  • A self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant and placed into action by motors that are not more than 1 horsepower.


Plumbing Work:

  • Stopping leaks in a drain and a water, soil, water or vent pipe. The UCC applies if a concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and is removed and replaced with new material.
  • Clearing stoppages or repairing leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and installation of water closets, faucets, and lavatories if the valves or pipes are not replaced or rearranged.

 ~ An ordinary repair does not require a permit.

 The following are NOT ordinary repairs:

  1. Cutting away a wall, partition, or portion of a wall.
  2. The removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support.
  3. The removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements.
  4. The addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical.

Commercial Construction Uniform Construction Code (UCC) Permit
Download the Heidelberg Township UCC Application (PDF).