Office Hours
Monday - Thursday 8am to 5pm
Contactless service in the vestibule
Call for information

Call 610-767-9297 |

Applying for UCC Permits

PLEASE NOTE:  Permits can be submitted by email, mail, or in person at the municipal building. If you are submitting a permit application by email you will need to mail or drop off a check for the application fee. Please contact the permitting office with any questions by email at or by calling 610-767-9297 x1. 

The municipal office is OPEN Monday-Thursday 8 am to 5 pm and Fridays by appointment only.

The Vestibule area is OPEN and there is a video intercom system for contactless service. You can get forms, speak with staff and drop off applications in the vestibule. If the service you need is not available in the vestibule, staff can remotely open the vestibule door to allow access.

Applying For Permits under the PA Uniform Construction Code

Please call the township office BEFORE SCHEDULING OR BEGINNING WORK to verify if a permit is required. Most permits require detailed drawings of the property including all structures, driveway, septic, well, etc. with dimensions and distances clearly marked. If you are unsure of what is needed for your permit please contact the Zoning Office or Lehigh Valley Inspection Service.

UPDATE: Codes and Standards Enforced Under the UCC
The codes applicable to work for which a construction permit is sought on or after February 14, 2022, are the 2018 International Codes issued by the International Code Council (ICC), and the provisions amended by the UCC Review & Advisory Council (RAC). Only these codes as first published and their errata are applicable in Pennsylvania. For further information about the codes and standards adopted, go to

Fees: Listed on the applications or attached fee schedules

Note: All applications, where required, must be signed by the owner of record and contractor. All fees must be paid prior to any permits being issued. Download the Heidelberg Township UCC Application (PDF). *Please note page 2 and the Addendum page (7) must be signed by the property owner.

Plot Plan
Three (3) copies of a plot plan showing all existing or proposed improvements within the lot. Improvements include all structures, well location, septic tank, drain field or central sewer lines and driveway area. Exact dimensions and setbacks must be shown if improvements are proposed less than ten (10) feet from the required setbacks.

Septic Permits
If an on lot septic system is required, the permit must be issued prior to or in conjunction with the building permit issuance. The septic permitting process is done by Christopher Noll, the Township Sewage Enforcement Officer. His phone number is 610-865-4555.

Driveway Permits
Permits are required for all new, improvement of existing (including paving or re-paving), and change of use driveways. Please see the information provided with the driveway application. Download the Heidelberg Township Driveway Permit Application (PDF) here.
Note: If the driveway abuts a state road, you must also apply for a permit at the local Penn DOT office. The township requires a copy of the state permit.

Construction Plans
Residential: Three (3) sets of construction plans. Plans must be “as built” indicating all the information of the Pa. UCC Code, including the square footage of the total floor area of the structure (living area, basement, finished attic, garages, decks and porches).

Additions: To residential dwellings only. If no construction plans are drafted, the Building Inspector may approve a list of materials to be used if the load strengths can be determined by the identification of the rafters, joist, and the spacing of each. A hand drawn plan is acceptable.

Electrical Permits: If electrical work will be done, an electrical permit is required. Submission of the electrical permit application is required prior to any electrical work being started. All fees must be paid prior to the electrical permit issuance.

Plumbing Permits: If plumbing fixtures will be installed, a plumbing permit is required. Submission of the plumbing application is required at the time of the building permit application submission. Plumbing fixtures must be identified on the construction plans. Any unit accepting waste water which is separately p-trapped and required to be located within two (2) feet of a vent, trapped separately, or is a mechanized device must be identified, as a plumbing fixture on the permit application. Prior to the building permit being issued, the plumber must sign the plumbing permit application. The plumbing permit fee must also be paid. Three sets of plumbing plans need to be submitted; single pencil line drawing ~ labeling size of pipe, vents, DFU’s, etc.

Additional information needed for all new residential uses including accessory structures 1000 sq. ft. or more, swimming pools, signs, demolition, fences six (6) feet or more in height and retaining walls over four (4) feet or more (except when supporting a surcharge) in height and commercial construction.

Commercial Structures: The floor area utilized by the public must be shown separately from the total square footage of the building area. The construction documents shall be prepared by a registered design professional and be signed and sealed; Three (3) sets of plans (4 if Blue Mountain Inspection is chosen) are required for Commercial Building.

Energy Code
Residential Compliance Using REScheck
The REScheck product group makes it fast and easy for builders, designers, and contractors to determine whether new homes, additions, and alterations meet the requirements of the IECC or a number of state energy codes.

REScheck Desktop can be downloaded and installed directly to your desktop, while REScheck-Web™ is accessible directly from the website without having to download and install. Click here to access REScheck.

Commercial Compliance Using COMcheck
The COMcheck product group makes it easy for architects, builders, designers, and contractors to determine whether new commercial or high-rise residential buildings, additions, and alterations meet the requirements of the IECC and ASHRAE Standard 90.1, as well as several state-specific codes.

COMcheck Desktop can be downloaded and installed directly to your desktop, while COMcheck-Web™ is accessible directly from the website without having to download and install. Click here to access COMcheck.

The building inspector must have a printout of this. Provide information on which Energy path will be used, along with the design, notes, and/or calculations to support the path: 2006 IRC Chapter 11, 2006 PA Alternative Energy Provisions.

Get Adobe Reader Note: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDFs linked on this page. If you do not have it download it for free from Adobe here.