- Heidelberg Township does not have general regulations or requirements for residential fences.
- A permit is not required to install or erect a fence on your property if the fence is less than six (6) feet high.
- The Township does not regulate which side of a residential fence is viewable.
- A building permit is required for fences over six (6) feet high.
- The height of a residential fence is not regulated.
- Anyone planning to erect or have a fence installed should do the following:
- Know your property boundaries, easements, or right-of-ways for fence location.
- Please call PA-One-Call (1-800-242-1776) to locate any underground utilities for your health and safety.
- Take into consideration the natural topography and environment of your property to minimize the disturbance of any creeks, wetlands, trees, and avoid blocking natural storm water drainage.
- Have approval from your Homeowners Association if needed.
- Specific residential fence requirements include the following:
- General fence standards for pools
- For specific and detailed standards see the area entitled “Above Ground Pool Requirements” or “In-ground Pool Requirements.”
Every outdoor private residential swimming pool shall be completely surrounded by a fence or wall not less than four (4) feet in height.
Opening, Holes & Gaps
Said fence shall not have openings, holes or gaps larger than four (4) inches in any dimension.
If the fence is a picket fence, the vertical dimensions shall not exceed four (4) inches.
All gates on doors opening onto such enclosure shall be equipped with a self-closing, self-latching device for keeping the gate or door securely closed at all time when not in use; said locking device shall be mounted on the pool side, so as not to be accessible to small children.
All fences/gates surrounding a swimming pool must be fully compliant with the current PA building code. Please see the pool standards document mentioned above for more information.
For further information on Building Code requirements or if you have any specific questions, please contact the Township offices.